Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation helps patients recover from injuries, relieve pain due to faulty mechanics, and regain function and mobility following surgeries. The mission statement of the team states:
We provide our patients and community with effective care that integrates scientific evidence, clinical expertise, and patient preferences.
We treat the entire person, not just the symptoms, and believe that prevention is better than cure.
We empower each patient with the knowledge and inspiration to stay in good health and live up to their potential.
We collaborate with other healthcare professionals to deliver patient-centered care.
We are design thinkers who constantly look for ways to improve patient and customer experience.
The team of expert clinicians currently include three physical therapists, a chiropractor and a TCM Tuina (Chinese for manual therapy) specialist. Using combinations of manual therapy, specific exercise prescription, postural analysis and retraining, foot assessment and orthotic prescription, and electrotherapy (e.g. electrical stimulation or ultrasound), pain is relieved, function is improved and optimized, each person can return to an active and fulfilling lifestyle.
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation works closely with surgeons, family doctors, pediatricians, emergency doctors, etc., to deliver an effective and patient-centered care experience.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Services
Physical therapists and chiropractors at the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation care for a wide range of people with musculoskeletal and movement-related dysfunctions.
In addition to conservative treatment, we frequently work with surgeons to provide post-operative rehabilitation to ensure an optimal surgical outcome is attained. Some conditions managed by the surgical team can be found under Orthopedic and Sports Medicine.
We commonly take care of patients with the following conditions:
- Headaches (e.g. tension headache, cervicogenic headache)
- Neck and back pain with or without disc bulge or herniation
- Neck and back pain with or without radiculopathy (pinched nerve)
- Neck and back muscle spasm or strain
- Posture related neck and back pain
- Repetitive strain injuries, e.g. carpal tunnel syndrome or cubital tunnel syndrome
Athletes and sports people
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Rotator cuff tear
- Fracture and tendon injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Hip and groin pain (e.g. hip impingement)
- Knee ligament injuries (e.g. strained ACL)
- Meniscus injuries
- Ankle sprains
- Foot pain, (e.g. metatarsalgia, plantar fasciitis)
- Flat feet
Women and mothers
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Stress and urge incontinence
- Wrist and hand pain (e.g. De Quervain’s tenosynovitis)
- Back and neck pain during and after child birth
Infants, children and teens
- Infantile torticollis
- Plagiocephaly (head shape deformity)
- Adolescent scoliosis
- Osgood-Schlatter disease
- Traction Apophysitis
- Sports injuries
Services provided by the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation include:
- Manual and manipulative therapy
- Ergonomic and postural education
- Kinesio and rigid taping
- Mechanical traction
- Pregnancy fitness
- Postpartum pelvic floor rehabilitation
- Post-surgical and injury rehabilitation
- Foot and gait assessment
- Orthotic prescription
- Hand therapy and rehabilitation
- Electrostimulation for pain relief
- Ultrasound therapy
- Therapeutic Exercises
What to expect in your first visit?
Your physical therapist or chiropractor will perform a thorough evaluation of your condition, make or confirm the appropriate diagnosis, and explain the treatment options available to you.
If further tests or imaging studies need to be done, we will arrange with relevant departments within Shanghai United Family Hospital.
Some insurance companies require pre-approval or medical referrals for treatment. If you have any questions about this, we can help confirm your coverage for you. For appointments please call 400 639 3900 or email us at SHUApptCenter@ufh.com.cn.