Alfred HU YOUNG
Chair of Pediatrics
Angela Pei Chen SUN
Cecille Winnie Joy BRION
YADAV, Shiv Kumar
The Department of Pediatrics at Shanghai United Family Hospital and Clinics (SHU) assures you that your child will receive high-quality pediatric outpatient and inpatient care in Shanghai. Our pediatricians have many years of experience in caring for children, both in China and internationally. Your child is special and deserves the very best in pediatric care for which the United Family name has become known throughout China.
Our experienced pediatricians are trained to prevent and manage health care problems in infants, children, teens and young adults. Children have different health care needs than adults. Our international staff understands the physical, emotional and social development of children. Children might be too young or too shy to talk, so pediatricians understand the importance of listening carefully to your child and you. Children often present different symptoms than adults, and need different medications and treatments. Our pediatricians are specially trained to recognize the importance of these differences, especially in young children and newborns.
We provide comprehensive care for children in Shanghai including preventive care. We work closely with other professionals including those in our Mental Health, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and Surgery departments to evaluate and recommend treatment for children with special needs. We are also committed to helping you find pediatric subspecialty care if needed.
All pediatric related services are all under one roof in SHU
If you would like to browse other departments that are related to our pediatric services, please click the following link:
Outpatient Pediatric Sub-specialty Services
We offer specialty services in the following areas:
- Pediatric General Surgery Clinic
- Pediatric Orthopedic Clinic
- Pediatric GI Clinic
- Pediatric Endocrinology Clinic
- Neonatal and Preterm Clinic
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialty Service
Dr. Su Lin
Pediatric Gastroenterology Clinic
Dr. Wang Xiu Min
Pediatric Endocrinology Clinic
Dr. Wu Li
Neonatal and Preterm Clinic
Dr. Yang Tianjiao
Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialty Service
To make an appointment with a Pediatric Specialist, please call 400 639 3900.
Outpatient Same-day Services for Sick Children
Please make a same-day sick appointment if your child has:
- Vomiting and diarrhea that lasts for more than a few hours
- Rash, especially if there is also an accompanying fever
- Any cough or cold that does not get better in several days or a cold that gets worse and is accompanied by a fever
- Cuts that might need stitches
- A limp or is not able to move their arms or legs
- Ear pain with fever, is unable to sleep or eat, or is generally acting ill
- Drainage from an ear
- A sore throat or problems swallowing
- Sharp or persistent pains in the abdomen or stomach
- A temperature greater than 38 degrees or higher, especially in a baby younger than 2 months of age
- A fever and vomiting at the same time
- Not eaten for more than one day
Our clinic works closely with the Emergency Room which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Outpatient Well-child Preventive Services
Regular visits to the pediatrician are a key part of preventive health care. At each well visit, the pediatrician will fully examine your child. This check-up gives your child’s pediatrician a chance to:
- Make sure your child is eating well, growing well and is healthy
- Track your child’s growth and development
- Update immunizations
- Find physical problems before they become serious
- Help inform you on how to keep your child healthy and safe
- Answer all of your questions
Recommended health care visits for well children
- Before your baby is born, especially for first time parents
- During the first year of life: Visits at about 2 weeks of life, and also at 1, 2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 months of age
- During the second year of life: Visits at 15, 18 and 24 months of age
- In early childhood: Yearly visits from 2 through 5 years of age
- During the early school years: Visits at 6, 8, and 10 years of age
- In adolescence and early adulthood: Yearly visits from 11 through 21 years of age
Inpatient Pediatric Services
Although Shanghai United Family Hospital and Clinics (SHU) is not specifically a children’s hospital, our facility and Department of Pediatrics team provides inpatient pediatric care in a comfortable and caring environment. Our inpatient nurses are all experienced pediatric nurses and our pediatric ward has two comfortable private rooms decorated for our small patients and with sofa beds for parents to stay with their children. Basic pediatric surgery can be done using a pediatric anesthesiologist by pediatric surgeon and other available surgeons. Such procedures include fracture fixation, appendectomy, tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy with ear tubes.
Please take your child to the Emergency Room IMMEDIATELY if they have:
- Bleeding that does not stop after applying pressure for 5 minutes
- Suspected poisoning
- Seizures (rhythmic jerking and loss of consciousness)
- Increasing trouble with breathing
- Skin or lips that look blue, purple, or gray
- Neck stiffness or rash with high fever
- Head injury with loss of consciousness, confusion, vomiting, or poor skin color
- Blood in urine
- Bloody diarrhea
- Sudden lack of energy or is not able to move
- Unconsciousness or lack of response
- Unusual behavior whereby they are becoming more withdrawn and less alert
- Increasing or severe persistent pain
- A cut or burn that is large, deep, or involves the head, chest, or abdomen
- A burn that is large and involves the hands, groin, or face
Urgent Care Walk-in Service
The strength of SHU pediatric services
How does your medical provider compare in pediatric care?
11 years of excellence that have set the standard for pediatric care in Shanghai
- Full-service facilities that are quality-accredited by the Joint Commission International, demonstrating our commitment to the highest standards in healthcare
- Infection prevention and control practices in compliance with standards set by the Joint Commission International
- Family-oriented, comfortable private inpatient rooms with TV/DVD units, internet access and pull-out couches for parents to stay overnight with their children
- The comprehensive team of high-level inpatient and outpatient pediatric services for children of all ages, including on-staff pediatric endocrinology, gastroenterology, development and behavior specialists ensure coordinated and efficient care for your child – all under one roof!
- On-site Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, staffed by experienced Neonatologists, ensures access to higher-level specialized care for newborns, when necessary
- 24/7 on-site pediatricians and nurses certified in Pediatric Advanced Life-Support (PALS) by the American Heart Association.
- Western-style emergency department with emergency and pediatric physicians ready to serve you, in case of emergencies
- 24/7 on-site Radiologist, radiology and laboratory services located under one roof makes any necessary testing faster, easier, and safer for both you and your child.
- Advanced sedation protocols make it easier and safer for pediatric patients undergoing inpatient and outpatient procedures, such as MRI and CT scans. Children are accompanied by an anesthesiologist and nurse throughout the entire procedure and monitored until full recovery
- On-site kitchen to ensure the freshness, safety, and quality of your child’s food
Setting the standard for pediatric care in Shanghai!