The Department of Surgery at Shanghai United Family Hospital and Clinics (SHU) is composed of a highly experienced team of local and internationally trained adult and pediatric surgeons and nurses, committed to providing the best possible care. We recognize and are committed to bringing comprehensive international standard surgical services to Shanghai.
Our two fully-equipped, modern operating suites are staffed by our experienced team of physicians and nurses to ensure safe, effective, and quality care for our surgical patients. We import the most advanced medical equipment for our operating suites in order to meet or exceed international standards for surgical care.
Our surgeons are backed up by a full-team of internationally trained on-site medical professionals with experience in inpatient and critical care medicine, as well as in pain management, to effectively manage any chronic medical conditions or post-operative pain.
Join Our Department of Surgery WeChat!
WeChat Public Account: SHUSURGERY
The strength of SHU General Surgery Services
Shanghai United Family Hospital Department of Surgery
Comprehensive general surgery services in Shanghai
- 24/7 in-house pediatric and adult operating room services for acute emergencies that require general surgery
- 24/7 adult and pediatric medical services available, including 24/7 inpatient rooms
- 24/7 transitional care unit (TCU) and on-site intensive care capabilities for those requiring surgery and post-operative care
- Highly-experienced surgical team to provide 24/7 service for all aspects of general surgery
- State-of-art equipment and advanced general surgery techniques:
- Traditional surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Endoscopic surgery
- Multidisciplinary Treatment (MDT) and sub-clinics for the management of abnormalities requiring general surgery, including:
- Bariatric surgery
- Gallbladder and pancreatobiliary system
- Varicose vein
- Close collaboration with our experienced anesthesiologists, who are highly skilled at managing all forms of chronic or post-operative pain
SHU provides a safe, convenient, and quality alternative to international travel for many of your surgical needs. We are committed to providing a high-level of surgical and post-surgical care within our relaxed surroundings to make your experience safe and less stressful. SHU brings together specialists from a wide variety of medical specialties with advanced capabilities in both open and minimally invasive surgical techniques. Our inpatient surgical capabilities include, but are not limited to:
- General and trauma surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Hand surgery
- Orthopedics including orthopedic trauma
- Plastic surgery
Ambulatory surgery is when a patient undergoes a surgical procedure and is able to leave the same day. Our ambulatory surgery capabilities include:
- Select arthroscopic (minimally-invasive) knee and ankle surgeries
- Breast biopsies
- Select oral surgical cases
Outpatient Surgical Sub-specialty Services:
We offer surgical sub-specialty services in the following areas:
- Thyroid Clinic
Our group including endocrinologists, interventional Radiologists and surgical Specialists provides appropriate and multi-disciplinary care on diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease.
- Hernia Surgical Clinic
We provide matured and adavanced ways of hernia repair for adult and pediatric patients, such as tissue, tension-free or laparoscopy repairs, according to patients’ general conditions and the types of hernia.
- Gallbladder & Biliary Tract Clinic
Our gastroenterologists, interventional radiologists, and surgical Specialists offer comprehensive care from diagnosis to non-surgical and surgical treatment including traditional surgery, laparoscopic surgery and endoscopic surgery (ERCP) to the patients with acute or chronic gallbladder and biliary tract diseases.
- Varicose Veins Clinic
We give exact treatment plans for patients suffered from varicose veins and provide traditional surgery, laparoscopic surgery and endovenous laser treatment (EVLT).
List of General Surgery Specialties Available at SHU
- Conventional and laparoscopic repair of extra-abdominal hernias including groin, umbilical, ventral, incisional, para-stomal, and more.
- Conventional excision or drainage of mass formation on body surfaces such as lipoma, lymph node, cyst, and abscess.
- Conventional or laparoscopic operations for thyroid and parathyroid gland abnormalities such as hyperthyroidism, thyroid goiter, thyroid malignancy, parathyroid tumor, and hyperparathyroidism.
- Conventional or minimally invasive operations for breast abnormalities including FNA, core-needle biopsy, excisional biopsy, local excision, breast-preserving excision, radical dissection for malignancy, and more.
Upper GI tract
- Conventional, endoscopic or laparoscopic operations for the stomach, duodenum, jejunum such as ulceration, stricture, bleeding, obstruction, GIST, and malignancy.
Hepatobiliary and pancreatic system
- Conventional, endoscopic or laparoscopic operations for the liver, gallbladder, bile duct, and pancreas, such as stone removal, stricture, obstruction, and malignancy.
- Conventional and laparoscopic operations for splenic abnormalities.
Lower GI tract
- Conventional, endoscopic or laparoscopic operations for ileum, colon, and rectum abnormalities such as stricture, bleeding, obstruction, and malignancy.
- Conventional and minimally invasive operations for rectal and anal abnormalities such as hemorrhoids, polyps, fistula, fissure, and malignancy.
Peripheral vascular system
- Conventional and minimally invasive operations for these abnormalities including laser, radiofrequency, and more.